Originally Posted By: GodTripped
The ability to navigate software menus and showcase expertise in a mouse click to generate 'music' translates mostly into a polished proverbial turd that surprisingly wins approval from a fair amount of people. It is a tough pill to swallow that most who do just this do not want to hear the sobering news so I will put things in context that is both illuminating and hopeful: my son is a drummer...

I like making pieces with drum parts, but I am not a drummer and I know nothing about drumming, and writing drum parts from scratch is particularly hard because there are SO many notes.

Enter (1) BIAB and (2) Logic's robot Drummer. With these fantastic tools I am able to whip up massive percussion tracks that sound great, and life is good.

But the other day I dug up a decades old MIDI project, where I created the drum part by clicking in all the hits, and while it sounded simplistic and completely unprofessional, it was interesting and melodic in a way I don't try to do anymore.

Sure, if I want to write good drum parts I have to learn how to do that, both in terms of drumming technique and software editors. But if I have a couple of tools here and now that will work perfectly? It is just soooo tempting to skip the hard work and let the bot keep the beat.

I love the technology, but it does create this personal challenge, for me at least.