I had the same experience as you the first time I updated Band-in-a-Box from my initial installation. My issue was I was telling the installer files the wrong directory path in such a way the installer was nesting files and folders. Post a screen shot of the directory path of one of your installer files. I bet a forum member can solve that issue.

I do not run my program from an external hard drive so my suggestion is an opinion and not founded on experience. If it hasn't worked for you in the past, I wouldn't follow the suggestion either.

The main issue I'm aware of using an external hard drive is Windows assigns a dynamic drive letter each time the external drive is attached. Sometimes the drive letter is the same as before which is fine and sometimes it's not which can cause issues. Windows has a procedure to assign a static drive letter to an external hard drive but not everyone knows the procedure exists. Because of the dynamic drive letter issue I'm cautious about suggesting the option. You are already using the external hard drive option so I assumed you have resolved that barrier to your satisfaction.

Everyone has their preferred way to work. I hope you'll let us know which option you choose and how it goes.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home