Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Mike, my advice, for what it's worth, if you're trying to preserve speed and performance install the programs on your main C SSD and put the RD / RT on a separate drive. SSD are preferred as well as 7200 rpm HD's, 5400 rpm HD's not so much.

Not sure how these would stack up against running everything from a USB3 but do understand the need to preserve space on your SSD. By the way, looks like you are close to the limit on your SSD with it being about 75% full...best to leave about 20% free for best performance.

Install the new version over the old version to preserve any add-ons you may have purchased over the years. Then run the most up to date version for the 2022 versions.

Jeff
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Mike, I didn't read the other thread but this is a good place for your question.

My system is a lot like yours. The exception would be that I have two internal drives dedicated to BIAB. The program is on its own small SSD and the RealTracks/RealDrums are on their own fast Western Digital Caviar drive. Keep in mind I have the audiophile edition, so it's 11 times larger than the 'regular' version.

In your case, unless and until you might go the route I did, I would install the program (only) over top of your existing C drive. Most of the files are already there so the space will not markedly increase. In the install process as I'm sure you already know, you can direct the RealTracks & RealDrums to a different drive. Again, most of that content is alread there. BIAB only writes the new material and any updated files (and there are some this year).

While USB drives are certainly up to the task of running BIAB and you can even run the whole program from one, any internal drive (even a hard drive) will still outperform the external drive. It may be a luxury to have my program on a separate SSD drive, but I use BIAB every day for work and I do enjoy the extra pep I get.

Jeff gives a good tip about free space. Some experts recommend 15% on hard drives and even more on an SSD. And make sure the Trim function is on for your SSD (or run it manually every month), and never Defrag one.

Thanks Jeff and Matt for your informed comments.
As you both suggest, I will install the program on the C drive, and the RealTracks and RealDrums on my D drive.
I am watchful re my small SSD (118gb) but there's not much more I can delete (I've done disk cleanup). And, yes, the Trim function is enabled.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172