Wheels of Fortune

Story of the Song:

The song started out as a standard 55 BPM slow blues, a straight I-IV-V 12 bar, one of many BIAB tracks I created that I use to jam over. Last week Marty came up with a melody and wrote a couple of verses for me to sing. I tried a few approaches, but it wasn't coming together, didn't have the right feel.

On Sunday I tried a completely different approach, came up with more of a J.J Cale/Dire Straits type groove, different chord changes, faster BPM, and a different melody, and by changing some of the lyrics and adding a few more, they fit the new melody and BPM perfectly. I then wrote a bridge to lead into the guitar solo.

The Band:

1410:Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sA-B Ev16 100
3164:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BluesyPopSteady8thsCleanBrent Ev 100

Marty Straub: Bass
Dave Bell: Guitars and vocal

EZDrummer2: Drums and Percussion

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone9

Wheels of Fortune (2022, Marty Straub and Dave Bell)

The wheels of fortune are rollin' right on by me now.  They're speeding by this sorrow, that I just can't hide.
I'm sinking in the shadows of social poverty now. Now that you left me lying here with pain inside.
Oh, the emptiness I'm feelin' stays here when you are gone.  I can't go on like this, no, no.  I can't go on.  

The wheels of fortune are flying off the cart. They're rollin' right on by me in the dark.
I have no chance to catch them, not knowing where you are.  They roll on by me as I'm searchin' where to start.
Oh, I can't go on with searchin' if you can't be found.  You gotta lower me down, down, down.  You can't be found.

The wheels of fortune keep on rollin' on, they always seem to pass on by.
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on, I just want a piece of the pie.
Rollin' on ..... right on by.

Solo

Outro:
The wheels of fortune are rolling right on by me now.
Rollin' on ....

All comments welcome!

EDIT: Uploaded a new mix, minor tweaks (01/10/2022)

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 01/10/22 04:17 AM. Reason: new mix