Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Except for long ago, all of the bands I have played in have been Church worship bands. These have their own sets of “that guy”.

1. Keyboard player is used to being the whole band and has a really strong left hand and can’t stay out of the way of the bass player. Doesn’t know how to play with right hand only (which also means they have no idea how to play with joystick or pitch/mod wheels. Also, changing presets on the keyboard is a scary thing so you get one sound for the whole set!

2. Guitar players use barre chords for everything (that was me 25 years ago). Causing similar problems to #1 on the low end of things

3. No music director that knows how to run a band in general

4. Full horn sections (4 trumpets, 2 trombones, two sax) with an electric drum kit , in a room that seats 150-200. Everyone tries to play to be heard, and the all hands on deck just make it sound like a poorly executed Who concert!!! Problem: see #3 and #1.

5. 5 new songs every week. Not enough time to fully rehearse together and arrange for the room, etc.

You nailed that one. Oh the stories I could tell on this topic.... but for now.....just let's say #3 was the problem. Mostly.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/06/22 06:15 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.