There're some very generous folk responding.

I belong to forums where one is required to comment/review thrice before posting a song and there's no problem with that - not that I'm proposing that system at all.

Recently we've had, in the user showcase, one new arrival who posted five songs in three days without looking left or right, another posted about ten songs in a week. Both were nudged to participate more fully and have done. one of the two becoming a frequent responder with both generalities and suggestions for tweaks.

If someone "carpet bombs" I doubt they'd be sensitive/present enough to run away when it's suggested they contribute; they'd be more likely to continue carpet bombing at the several many sites they probably fly over. I think my comment regarding this has been misrepresented somewhat: Mods don't have to be heavy handed or "attack" either. There's nothing unfriendly with someone being asked, discretely of course, to slow down or comply with a requirement.

The suggestion that natural selection will eventually sort wheat n chaff makes sense but the reality, in the US at least, is that new folk get plenty of responses regardless of their myopic tendencies. I've often watched, in fly catching mode, as folk encourage and "enable".

TIME as a factor? If one has time to post one's own music then one is already online, has been through an "upload" process and has managed to do some sort of blurb. If one has time to log in and read responses to their own threads then one has time. I think, JAOM, you've misinterpreted/misconstrued my O.P. or I've completely botched it.

Being too daunted to post a comment is a possibility but the vast majority of comments in the US aren't about detail, improvements or processes but are virtual hugs n pats on the back. Reading the comments would, in many cases, make that clear. In fact I was advised, early one, to restrict myself to plaudits. Clearly I ignored that warning.

The User Showcase is very cyclical in nature, (a couple of months back it was like the Kenny Rogers Grammy Awards where a deity was invoked with every presentation),and the flybye/click collector/carpetbomber isn't an everyday event. My concern isn't about me missing out on responses or plays, (I have an objective view of my own abilities and songs as well as being interested in improving what I do), but for those for whom the User Showcase, in particular, is THEIR place to present THEIR creations.

Misha suggestion is a good one.
Mark's "hack" is, as he suggests VERY PG but I certainly don't want more email arriving.

I know, how about we develop our own version of Vax Exemption! Folk can apply for a Certificate of Exemption From Participation. CLEARLY I'm joking.

Benefit of the doubt is an excellent rule and I try to apply it but when a new person does something like posts two or three songs simultaneously, I opt out until they've demonstrated which way they are leaning.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe