So, I started with a Harmony, $39 dollar guitar back in 1975 timeframe. It was hard to play but I stuck with it. I just thought this was how guitars were supposed to feel! Now of course I know better. It was what my parents could afford. I stuck with it.

I wrote all that to say this, probably need to make sure he wants to play. Based on your post I can't tell if this is something he has asked for or you are getting him a guitar in hopes that he wants to learn. There are plenty of stories of kids getting a guitar, taking a lesson or 2, not practicing, not learning and never touching it again and then there are kids that get it, learn it, fall asleep every night playing it and all stops in between. If you get a better quality guitar it will be "easier" to play, physically speaking and will have some resale value if he just doesn't want to do it.

No harm there. I also believe anyone can learn to play, it is really about practice and muscle memory to a certain extent. Can everyone be Tommy Emmanuel? Probably not, unless you want to put the time and effort into it!

Last edited by etcjoe; 01/23/22 03:38 AM.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.