Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Hey Hacker,
Thanks for the brief orientation, for a newbie all of this can be like drinking from a fire hose at times. I am aware of Real Band and do have it; opened it once or twice but couldn't figure out what it's main purpose in life is. Like Cakewalk, Audacity is free and does pretty much what I need it to do . . . so far.

As for new tools for my toolbox my approach is generally to first identify what it is I'd like to do, then, if my tool set can't fully do it to then search for a tool that can. To that end . . .

Do you find that you need or use software to generate chord progressions? Or does BiaB and your personal music skills suffice?
I'd like to find a good software or website that can give ideas on chord progressions and song structure; Intro, V1, V2, Chorus, Bridge, etc. Although, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from generating chord progressions and structure thru experimentation.

Real Band is a multi-track DAW. You can create a song in BB, save it, and reopen it in RB. Now, in RB, the tracks from BB will repopulate and you can now record your own tracks such as vocals or additional instruments. In addition, and this is how I use RB.... say for example you used the LA Hard Rock style which contains a couple of guitars, bass and drums, but you want to add a fiddle, mandolin or a steel guitar to the song. You simply select a new clear track.... after you select any on the other tracks using the SELECT ENTIRE TRACK function to highlight any of the other tracks in their entirety. Now you click on generate a real track on the clear track you selected and choose your instrument.

Generating chord progressions. Nope.... I generally write the chords into the grid based on what I am writing at the moment. Choruses and verses and bridges are easy to figure out. Write the song and you will know and feel where they need to go. I use the Blue and Green part markers to differentiate between them. Same thing with figuring out the progressions..... start playing it and change the chords as needed. A bit of music theory is helpful but not an absolute must-have. Experiment. Everything can be changed.

Take the time to view the videos and tutorials in the Support page on the PG website. There's a lot of really useful things there.

When you get stuck or hit the brick wall, come to the correct forum and ask the questions you have as clearly and concisely as possible and include the specifics of what you did and are trying to do.

Good luck and have fun.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.