Originally Posted By: MarioD
Noel's "ASIO is a one-rider pony" statement is important if one is using a DAW. I do not record in BiaB, all of my recording is done in my DAW. Having BiaB set to MME and my DAW set to ASIO I can have both programs open simultaneously. YMMV

I do something like this in situations where I need two different audio sources active at the same time. As @marioD noted, the vast majority of ASIO drivers are NOT multi-client. The few that are tend to be very expensive.

Let's say that I've built a backing track in BiaB to play my bass with, and I want to record the combined result. I have BiaB configured to use my laptop's sound card (Realtek) and Studio One configured to use the ASIO driver for my PreSonus Studio 1810c audio interface. I use a 1/8" stereo to two 1/4" TRS mono cable to feed the BiaB audio on my laptop's headphones output to two Line Inputs on my 1810c (I use Input 5 for the left channel and Input 6 for the right channel). My bass is plugged into the Mic/Line/Instrument Input 1. My mic is plugged into Mic/Line Input 3. My headphones are plugged into Headphones Port 1 on the 1810c.

Since I'm playing and singing along with the audio I'm hearing on the headphones plugged into the audio interface, the latency (lag time) of the MME driver for the Windows sound card is irrelevant.

Note that I do try to keep the sample rate of both cards the same, for the times when I switch Windows to use the ASIO driver.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770