Exactly. And that is the fun thing about writing originals. You are not trying to copy something that is already out there. You set the standard as the writer. That is what I love about experimenting with BIAB is that if I want to hear how a 13 bar blues song would sound like, I'll try it. Of course, I always end up throwing out the extra measure any way.

Here is the thng I am discovering. There has always been a time in history when someone did something that caught on and before you know it future students began to study what is now called theory as a result from it. As it applies here is that is what a single listen may think. But, after hearing it several times the mind tricks you into thinking, "Hey, I really like that." Then, the real humor is if you ever needed to go back and rerecord it, you painstakingly try with all your might to recreate what you thought so little about the first time you recorded/heard it. I find that particularly true with my own music. The first few times I hear something that stands out to me I'll say, "Ugh, I wish I could have done it this way." A month later, I find myself trying to rerecord it to put in that "way" and find myself falling right back into what I had originally recorded.

As I heard a comedian say once, "The mind, it's a terrible thing...." (he forgot the rest of the statement).

Cheers!
RickeG