Once I belonged; now it's all gone
I'm back on the outside looking in

Watching my world burn down
Seeing it all fall down
I couldn't stop you from walking away

I'd make a new start
But you've taken my heart

Nobody knows why love goes away
      No one can say if it will come again (No one can say)
      No one can say when love will come again

Instruments
3501:Bass, Electric, NashvilleRadioBalladAB Ev16 075
3654:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking IndiePickingBright Ev16 075
3655:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking IndiePickingSoft Ev16 075
624:Fiddle, Soloist George Ev 085
1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
3182:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GrungeUnpluggedQuinn Ev16 090
3656:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm IndieGentlePush Ev16 080
2024:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 085
~593:Fiddle, Rhythm Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealDrums:AmericanaRoots16th^01-a:Toms, b:Snare

SynthesizerV: Qing Su (lead and backing vocals)

Effects Chain

Mix Bus: Sunset Sound Studio (Studio 2), Lurssen Mastering Console (Americana Tight, Less Glue)
Main Vocal: Sunset Sound Studio (ISO Room, Studio 3), Sunset Sound Studio (Chamber, Studio 1)
Backing Vocal: Finisher Retro (Double Tracker), Greg Wells VoiceCentric (Factory Default), Sunset Sound Studio (Chamber, Studio 2)
Drums: Finisher Retro (Too Old Tube), EZMix2 (Drum Enhancer), TrackSpacer, Sunset Sound Studio (Live Room, Studio 3), Izotope Imager, ReaEQ (low end cut)
Bass: Neutron Elements (bass)
Cello: TrackSpacer, ReaEQ (low end cut)
Fiddle: TrackSpacer, LX480 (Small Hall)
FP Guitars: EZMix2 (Acoustic Guitar with Reverb)
Piano: Finisher Retro (Dreamer)

Errata

• Boosted the high end on the guitars, as suggested by floyd jane.
  • Modified "Watching my world burn down" to get rid of that crunchy minor second in the harmony, as suggested by Mark Hayes. Modified the melody on Seeing it all fall down to make it a bit less dissonant.
  • Minor adjustments to plosives and sibilants, suggested by rayc. Lowered drum volume, added TrackSpacer to drums.

Short Blah Blah Blah
All comments welcome!

Longer - But Not Necessarily Better - Blah Blah Blah
I started out by browsing through the demos, and found _SALLY Demo - Sally Fingerpicking Guitars.

I went through it and altered a bunch of chords in an attempt to make it more interesting - IV/V, descending bass lines, that sort of thing. The result was a pretty backing track, but a bit slow. I bumped the tempo up to 85 BPM, but figured in order to have the song fit in less than 3:30, it would need to only repeat once.

I exported a backing track and loaded that into SynthesizerV. The melody was pretty easy to write, but the chorus didn't really sound like a strong chorus. Sigh... another one of those "not gonna have a catchy chorus" sorts of songs.

The lyrics on this took a stupid long time. Usually I put together some "dummy" lyrics, in hopes that something would click. I got the usual unhelpful "The wind is blowing through the trees" sort of uninteresting lyric drivel that comes out when I lack any sort of inspiration.

That continued for about a week. In desperation for some sort of inspiration, I read through The Waste Land - isn't that what everyone turns to for inspiration? - and read the first few lines:

April is the cruellest month, breeding
      Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
      Memory and desire, stirring
      Dull roots with spring rain.

Stealing that idea got the first few lines written, up to the pre-chorus. At that point I once again noticed that despite all the syllables being devilishly tricky to fill in, I was starting to run out of room to actually say something.

I had no idea what the chorus was going to be, and all I had written was some light "I'm sad" sort of lyrics.

Plus, it read a lot like a cliches from a sad teenager's poem. At least I was getting that part right! smile

I had watched a video on the travails John Fogerty had with his record label. The narrator related that after coming up with a cool guitar lick, John went searching through his notebook of song titles to see if he could find and idea he could build the lyrics around. He ended up choosing the title "Somewhere Down the Road", which became "The Old Man Down the Road".

I ended up using that for the pre-chorus, and what I had previously written in the pre-chorus moved to the second verse.

In the process of working on the lyrics, I'd changed the voice from Kevin to Qing Su. I'd not actually tried her out in the upper range, where she had a sort of airy Suzanne Vega sound.

Yes, she sounds a bit hoarse in places. I'm probably overly fond of this breathy performance style. What's a bit ironic is that I got Qing Su because she's got an impressive "belting" voice.

I eventually wrote something for the chorus, and noticed again there was nothing in the first half of the song that remotely looked like a song title. I wouldn't have had this problem if I'd followed John Fogerty's example!

Since the song is pretty much symmetric, writing the second half was less time consuming than the first.

Once the song was done, I resisted adding a harmony part because I was tired. But I eventually added bits on the end. I had a lot of trouble making it fit, until I got the obvious idea to drop it down an octave. As usual, the harmony added a lot to the song, and I was glad I'd done it.

Mixing was the usual process of cutting out parts to so not everything happens at once. TrackSpacer was helpful in keeping the fiddle and cello from getting in the way of the voice.

The hardest bit of the vocal was getting the lyric "I'd make a new start" to sound right. Qing Su really didn't want to put the /d/ in "I'd", so I ended up cutting and pasting it from a different word.

I cut and pasted the drums as well, mostly to get rid of a lot of cymbal crashes. I was too lazy to remove them all, but I might go back and do that.

One of the fingerpicked guitars had a lot of squeaks. I ended up reducing the volume at those parts, and hopefully it doesn't detract too much.

My son doesn't get any blame on this one - the mix is all mine. wink

Next time, I promise... I'll try to write something with a chorus.

Since I have a habit of tweaking songs long after they're posting, all suggestions are appreciated! Heck, I just changed the title of the song.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?