There are quite a few items that would cause differing volume levels on different midi files. Unfortunately, I know of no way to 'normalize' all MIDI files to be the same on the fly. That would involve changing volume levels, velocity levels, expression levels and who knows what else.

I would suggest that the best solution is 'go prepared.' Have all of your files already tweaked and set up so that they are at the same volume level for what you expect to play. That will require opening each file in a sequencer, like Real Band or Power Tracks Pro Audio, and adjusting volume and velocity levels so that everything is the same.

You might consider, instead of using MIDI files, converting each to a high quality .mp3 or .wma file. That way, each is already set at a known volume.

Nothing makes a gigging musician look bad, both in the eyes of customer and the person hiring you, then someone who is jumping all over stage to make changes from when a new song starts.

So, tweak the songs so that they are all the same level, and you'll never be surprised.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!