Unfortunately normalize doesn't work.

It raises the highest peak to the maximum non-distorted level.

So if one song has one loud peak and the rest of the song not so loud AND another song has a soft level with no peaks, after normalizing, the soft level song will sound MUCH louder than the one with the loud peak.

It isn't easy, and there is no instant gratification fix that I know of.

But then, if it were easy, a lot of people would be doing it and my clients wouldn't pay me for having so much fun on the gig.

You will have to "master" your MIDI or mp3 files (whatever you choose for your backing track).

That will involve listening, comparing and adjusting the levels - continuous controller 7 on each MIDI track of each song, or the volume of mp3 tracks. Then when you get on the gig you will find that you will need to go back and readjust a few from time to time.

It often takes me 2 or 3 tries of balancing to get my backing tracks right. For some reason, "mastering" at home is different from the gig. Probably due to the differences between my home system and my PA system (which is too much work to set up in the living room).

Although it's a lot of work, and takes a lot of time, it's worth it in the long run.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks