Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
When I was younger and greedier than sane, I used to book two gigs on the same day if I got the chance.

Notes, the Motown band I was in was in such demand that we worked a schedule most would not.

We played Thursday night as most bands here do. Then we did a 5pm Happy Hour show Friday, then a 10-2 Friday night. Saturday we did a 1pm show, then a 9-1 bar show. Sunday was the same doubleheader.

We had 2 PA systems and 3 guys who we taught to set it up. They would go to our storage, load the "night PA" into the back of the truck, and the "day PA" in front of it. They'd go to the early gig, set it up (we brought our stage gear other than my rack and the guitar amps which were in the truck) then beat feet to the night gig and set THAT PA up. Then they'd come back and as we drove to the night gig they tore down and loaded.

So we played 7 shows in 4 days, from May 1 through September 30. Monday we laid in bed and rested. I was in my early 40s then and could do such things. Now I don't play at all because I don't want to move gear. I don't need more money than I bring in, so why? To stuff a bank account full to leave for the state to steal when I die?

And THERE is my personal generation gap. Between my early 40s and my early 70s I traveled a LOT of hard roads... No more.

Musically, that generation gap is well bridged. People decorate with retro knick-knacks, wear retro clothing, and listen to retro music. No gap! Well, maybe Gap Mangione...

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.