It's all relative really,
I recorded & mixed the included song on a refurbished (?)2001 era 286 PC with the max 16meg of RAM it could handle.
BIG boxes with not much in them allowed decent air flow too.
Eight drum tracks, six guitar tracks, three stereo synth tracks and two vocal tracks with a couple or three VSTs on each track as well as the stereo bus.
All real instruments and all tracked DI, (except for the drums - the multitracks of which were done in a home studio in Texas), with that machine, and a second hand INCA interface and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 in about 2010.The video, whilst uploaded in 2018, was made using the same box and Windows Movie Maker a few weeks after the recording.

It'd have been done better to tape in a good room or through mic'd cabs in a good room with a better AD/DA converter obviously. The mic wasn't much chop on the vocals either but we arrived at a semi decent result given the technology and my limited abilities.
Sample libraries and BIAB demand much more in terms of storage, RAM and processing power to decompress etc.
Anything laptop related, (chips/cooling/space etc.), whilst convenient get the thumbs down from me for all the reasons others have stated.
Reaper isn't a hungry beast and would be the least of the potential problems.

Last edited by rayc; 04/26/22 03:27 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe