On what planet in this universe is a PC required to use an R8? None that I know of. It's more versatile because it can be connected, that's all. It also handles different sample rates and greater resolution than the DP-03. Earth to TASCAM: 44.1 isn't the standard anymore. BTW, both list for the same $299 new. Because of the recent price drop, I wonder if TEAC will be dropping it and introducing a new version at Summer NAMM.

When someone is recommending mics like the SM48, the supposedly superior mic pres of the DP-03 (based on what, exactly?) won't make a difference.

Again, my problem with the video was not the DP-03, it was the microphones he recommended to hit the $400 price point.

26 years ago, when I got into digital, it was a FOSTEX FD8 and a Mackie 1604 connected via ADAT through a MOTU 2408 in between so that I could enable eight simultaneous record channels on the FOSTEX. You needed a card table to lay it all out.

I've always been a fan of portable digital recorders but I mix on my Mac, never in the box. I still have my R24 but am looking at the newer stuff that offers 32 bit float. Even though I can, I have never used my R8/16/24 as an interface. I dump the tracks via the SDHC card.

It sure beats loading an Ampex 300 into a van for remote work or a TASCAM 80-8 as I did in the 1980s.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5