Does anybody remember Gateway Computers before it was purchased by Compaq and then HP? Every desktop computer was a made-to-order unit, with bios and Windows custom configured to match the hardware. Even the order of the lines in the configuration file was massaged to make the unit work as smooth and fast as possible.

The custom configuration was what set Gateway apart from the rest along with the black & white shipping containers that reminded you of a cow. smile Gateway built a configuration program that built the configuration file for each computer it sold.

They don't have a configuration program but most audio computer custom builders extensively verify and test their equipment. They use experience to configure the motherboard and Window settings. That and technical support after the sale is what you pay for. For commercial production studios where downtime is costly the extra cost of a specialized and custom computer likely makes sense but for some hobbyists not so much.

I believe off-the-shelf computers offer the best value for most hobbyists. New, refurbished, laptop or desktop goods is a personal choice.

My one caution is to be careful of a refurbished builder, even one you find through a manufacturer's website. Manufacturers will list resellers that sell their computers. There is no formal definition of what constitutes refurbishment. For some builders it's clean inside and out and replace whatever doesn't work. For others it's just clean. A great warranty doesn't help if a unit spends half its time as downtime.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home