Originally Posted By: MountainMan
I have 5 computers in my household and can't afford to replace all of them.

Mountain Man

I have only a few applications on Windows that I need(*) for which I don't have either good Linux substitutes or I can't/don't run under Wine or in VirtualBox on Linux. My wife uses Linux and for a number of years simply presumed it was Windows. She hadn't realised it wasn't.

BiaB is good but imperfect under Wine, though a few little things actually work better under Wine than on Windows.
(*)I have a PCB CAD system that won't render layouts under Wine or VirtualBox.

IIRC, that's it, though I'm sure there are other things. Video editors are sometimes still a bit limited and a bit fragile. I have 7 computers here in pretty-much everyday use. Two of those are ITXs (my main file-server and BackupPC in an outbuilding), one is a Raspberry Pi (DMZ and mail transport). None of those three, nor my studio PC even have Windows on them.

I do though have around 40 years experience with Unix and Linux systems and I'm perfectly happy using the command line for some tasks. Indeed I prefer it for some tasks.

Oh, BTW, I have no objection to paying for software on Linux and I'll make donations to help support the free stuff. To me that seems only fair.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 05/13/22 07:05 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.