Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
Don't spend a lot. Most people don't stick with it.
The tuner is a good idea.

Be sure to get him 2 months of weekly lessons.
Make sure the teacher can show him tunes he likes.
Doesn't matter the genre, just simple 3 chord tunes.
Get him hooked on the instrument. If he likes it, he'll do the hard work.

A tuner is a mandatory purchase when buying a string instrument.

I respectfully disagree with your teaching methods. The last music store I taught in had two guitar instructors. One taught via songs. I, on the other hand, am old school and taught reading music from day one. If they practiced and did well I would throw in fun stuff like songs. If they did not keep doing well on the basics I would stop the fun stuff. I found this to be a better way of teaching and the students get to read music and in many cases a few years later they learned music theory. Actually I had very few quit.

The other instructor was an excellent guitarist. He got the teenagers who only wanted to play songs and the instructor was perfect for them. I got everyone else and had about twice as many students. The parents appreciated my method because their kids were learning the instrument and that is what the parents wanted because they were paying the bills.

YMMV

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware