The Lost Years

This is a remix of a song I posted last year. The original version was titled "2020 Lament" but the new title reflects the more general emotion of this tune.

This tune came into being as I was experimenting with using the same chord progression as I used in Barbara's Waltz (posted earlier this year) but as a 4/4 country ballad.

This is a good showcase of BIAB as all tracks originate from Real Tracks. The remix features double-tracked finger-picked acoustic guitars. In this double tracking, I used two tracks of the same Real Track style, panned left and right, with each using a different set of generated arpeggios.

The problem with doing this is that if both tracks happen to generate the same phrase at the same time, the left and right "stereo" effect instantly collapses the sound field of the guitars to the center, which disrupts the illusion. I figured out a solution for this: simply delay one of the tracks relative to the other. Here, an 80 msec delay to one of the tracks seemed to do the trick, to beautiful effect. The new remix starts out with just these double-tracked guitars, which make for a great intro.

I played no instruments myself in this piece, but spent many, many hours curating the phrases, especially that of the Wanda Vicks fiddle Real Track, which serves as the main melody.

This tune cries out for lyrics and vocals. I have fragments of lyrics floating around in my head, but have yet to create a full set of verses. Since I'm not a great vocalist, especially as I age, if anyone would be interested in collaborating with me to sing the vocals once I have lyrics, please let me know. I imagine female vocals would work best, but who knows.

Real Tracks used:

Bass - 519
Drums - Nashville Even 8's
Acoustic Guitar 1 - 522 (picked)
Acoustic Guitar 2 - 522 (picked)
Acoustic Guitar 3 - 405 (strummed)
Fiddle - 618 (Wanda Vicks)

Assembled, mixed and mastered in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Last edited by BryMusic; 05/17/22 08:25 AM.

BryMusic

SoundCloud