Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Jim,
+1

However, I think a better approach would be right click on a mixer track (or in settings & actions) and have Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete commands.

A more creative twist would be to click +hold mouse button on track and drag it to any position to change the order.

RustySpoon#, I thought about right click on track and agree that is likely the appropriate place for individual cut, copy, paste and delete track commands. However I'm not sure using individual commands is a good thing. In my mind individual commands will make it too easy for track data to be lost or corrupt.

There are a minimum of two elements in each track, instrument and data (wave instructions or MIDI patterns). MIDI SuperTracks also includes an instrument sound module. That is a lot of stuff to keep track of. I worry about track data becoming lost or corrupted when a track is not frozen. I worry about using an automatic track data freeze but the user having to perform a manual unfreeze if the paste action does not occur immediately after a cut or copy action. What if a user decides to cut or copy multiple tracks and then paste?

Drag and drop is likely close to ideal but there is still the question of how to distinguish between commands involving the instrument, wave instructions or MIDI patterns and sound modules.

My suggestion takes into account the path PG Music already seems to be taking for track actions.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home