Originally Posted By: jcland
OK. there are a few people on this topic who do not understand the problem both Roycol and myself ran into.

It has absolutely nothing to do with renaming existing file names to new file names. Heck I can do that with a myriad of file renaming utilities all day long and in my sleep. Been doing that since the days of DOS 2.2

If you read my posts, the problem is that when using the built-in file renaming utility to convert 8.x names to long file names, on some files it will just not work. The built in utility is supposed to 'read' the name of the song file contained within the SGx or MGx file structure and port that name over as a new file name that is no longer in the 8.x format. It only occurs on a very small sample of files I have in my collection, which Jerry at PG Music was able to duplicate and confirm, following my instructions and sample song files I posted on Dropbox.

Again, this has nothing to do with renaming a file to another name of your choosing. It has everything to do with getting the name of the song that is located inside the actual song file structure. See the graphic. There is absolutely no file renaming utility that can read the internal file structure of the BIAB song file and use that information to rename a file, except as provided by PGMUSIC via the Long File Name Utility....that I am aware of. Not a one of the popular file renaming programs out there will do that either singularly or in batches.

I don't think they do not understand, I think they just got off on the topic of renaming files. You got a good response above from PG Music that they will pass on to the developers and then also we found out it seems to be only with the files with the old standard BIAB styles ZZ etc. All of this while using the programs built in utility for renaming files to long file names. Good find of a problem that will now hopefully be fixed.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.