Don,

Thanks for posting the music. That helps a lot.

The notation that uses two beats in a bar is a compound duple time. That is, a 2-beat rhythm where the beats are based on two dotted quarter notes. Notation in 3/4 is a simple triple time and when 3/4 is notated, it uses ties to help identify the the 1/4-note beats. (I'd imagine that you know this. I'm mentioning it in case others who read this post haven't come across this terminology before.)

This arrangement (or song) looks like it might be one of those songs that is a crossover where 3/4 and 6/8 are inter-mingled.

Whether it's right or wrong, I don't know, but I remember hearing once that "jota" songs do this and that they often have 6/8 melodies playing against 3/4 rhythms. This is the classic "two against three" feel. Another song that springs to mind is Benrstein's and Sondheim's "America" from "Westside Story". In "America", bars alternate between 6/8 and 3/4.

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure that BIAB can be organised to give you the display you want in 6/8. I doubt that it will be possible in a 3/4 time signature, though, because the notation you want is not standard 3/4 notation, and BIAB follows basic notation principles when creating lead sheets.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024