Byron.

i cant disagree with you. Your spot on.. , In fact let me add even the original ‘guitar heroes’ who played on the big hit record cant emulate ‘their tone' live sometimes.

Over the years ive seen a few of my personal ‘guitar heroes’ live…and been very deflated when some breezed through their lead breaks.
Often just a basic approximation to the one on the record. I got the impression of ‘lets just keep the punters happy’..lol.

To be fair Its different of course ‘in studio’ where one can take ones time over a lead break.

Otoh i HAVE been impressed by a few groups live….like…
Cheap trick being one and Steppenwolf another. To name a couple.
Steppenwollf had an amazeing young lead player prolly a session musician who totally blew me away live playing marshalls if i remember and i suspect some added pedals. Even my wife was full of praise which is rare for her.

Sometimes PBS in the states have some impressive live tv shows also.

sometimes even my wife would turn to me and say at a live show with one of my heros playing…‘thats not close to the record …right ?’...she was right.

Frankly i’m no great guitarist (isnt comping a great tool ..and editing and many takes..?..thank you computer…lol..)

Best
Om

Rayc.

I’m not sure its a question of buying certain ‘gear’.
(also lots of folks dont have the funds for the gear).

Ive seen in the past articles that suggest that even if one buys ‘the gear’ to emulate ones ‘hero’....the person might be using a different guitar/pickups/strings etc etc from said 'hero'.. lets not forget the fingers used..people in big studios have told me the same.

Lets not forget also the big studio recording chain gear the ‘hero’ originally used OR he/she might have used a heavily modded/custom guitar or amp etc etc.

In conclusion there are a load of different factors from what ive read and been told imho.
Even myself , ive recorded a track one day …and recorded a guitar tone and went ‘yummy’. So i noted every darn single setting…et voila…next day same settings/nowt changed..i cant replicate it. Go fathom.
I call it ‘the demons of rock’ effect. Hmm…maybe i’ll record a song with that title.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 07/13/22 01:50 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)