Hi Charlie,

The screenshot of the BIAB Nashville Number System was after I set the tempo, key of A, and entered the chord names. I then told BIAB to change everything to NNS. The only strange thing was I entered A#dim and it printed out 2bdim or Bbdim which I did not understand as A is a sharp key and there is no Bbdim in the key of A as I understand it. Perhaps I am confused, that has happened once or twice...lol

One of the things we have omitted from all this 1,4,5 conversation is, that it does not take very long to be able to hear and recognize a 1,4,5 by the way it sounds. For sure one may not know what key the 1,4,5, is in because very few of us have perfect pitch but almost all of us humans have pretty good relative pitch. If we hear the 1,4,5, in any key several times, that pattern will be pretty obvious in other keys.

The way I have seen Nashville Number System written most often is like Charlie posted. Written by hand and almost always having the key letter name in a circle at the upper left.

This system was put together a long time ago having nothing to do with BIAB. It was designed to be used by musicians who could play well enough but could not read standard notation. For someone familiar with the system, is generally faster to transcribe and less difficult to read for the players. That is especially true for guitar players because standard notation does not tell you where to put your fingers on a guitar. That is one of the reasons TAB was invented.

It was never expected to be a system that could inform someone who could not play an instrument what to play. And by any measure, it is as arcane to a non-musician as standard notation. With or without being classically trained, what the devil could 2- mean? And even to those people who use the system every day, it is inadequate to indicate solo information and many other things. That is why so many variations and embellishments are common in the studios in Nashville.

OMG, this is turning into a Leo Tolstoy-style post...the guy who wrote War And Peace...lol

Sorry, I can type faster than I can think...lol

Billy

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 07/26/22 03:42 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo