Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Slash chords tend to have one or two purposes, though there's much overlap between them.
Walking bass as you describe or
indicating a chord inversion.

Quite often it's for both simultaneously.

Thanks Gordon, that inspired me to do a search and I learned that the position of the notes in a chord can change the mood. Of course, as a novice bass player, I just play one note at a time. Actually, someone once told me that we bass players do play chords, just not simultaneously. We break them apart into arpeggios and root-5th rhythmic patterns.

"Chords aren’t always played in their root position, like a C major with the notes C E and G in this order. While remaining the same, the notes of the chord may change places for practical reasons that may relate to the instrument you play, to facilitate going from chord to chord, or for other aesthetic musical reasons in order to achieve a different harmonic feel. That said, a chord inversion is when the lowest note of the chord is not its root."

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.