Hello PianoBilly

"What I would generally like to know when talking about a song or playing a song is basic information. What key is the song in, what is the tempo, and what style of music are we dealing with. What actually happens playing live is sometimes you get none of that information. The singer/guitar player starts something off and you need to be able to figure out how to play along to that in about the first three notes. Not always easy.

In the case of what you posted, I would likely assume the key of A as most of the chords come from the A scale. By the end of the first bar, I should have the tempo figured out. I would have some idea of the style"

The key is, nominally, Amaj. The tempo is either 125 or 130bpm and it wouldn't be much chop as a jam song.

I've edited my previous post to better reflect what I meant. I used 1-4-5 as short hand for a number/numeral system.

It's not a particularly common progression song so would be difficult to articulate in a system that is key tied.

I write the chords I've played and liked when together. I doubt the number/numeral systems would accommodate that well.

I know a fellow in Canada who co-ordinates, for want of a better word, a jam night in a pub but he makes sure there're a few songs any/everyone attending can play along to if they wish...to do this he prepares a rehearsal vid, posts it to Utub and sends the link to those who've expressed interest. That allows him to expand the vocabulary of himself and the jammers. The biggest pity is that he's a fabulous songwriter, singer, homerecordist as well as a fab guitar player but he's put his own stuff aside for a couple of years now to have fun playing with others.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe