Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
When you move around the circle, remember going up a fifth can also mean going down a fourth to the same pitch in a lower register.

I prefer my chart to show key signatures. I know them, but when you get to five or more accidentals and a certain age, a chart makes it easier.

When composing, the chart can be used for modulating from one key to another. For example, you are in A and you need to get to C. Just move counterclockwise from A to D to G to C. Some of those can be minor. It’s simply taking the ii V7 I progression a few more steps.

OK, I think you all are helping me connect some dots. But I have to have my fretboard diagram and the circle at the ready.
Moving CW from C to G is moving up a fifth (up 1 string and up 2 frets)
Moving CW from C to G is moving down a fourth (down 1 string and stay at the same fret)
These 2 G's are 1 octave apart (2 strings up and 2 frets up)

How can I find the chart you're referring to showing the signatures?

And as you point out it looks like you can modulate (musically move?) from any note to any note simply by hopping around the circle CW 1 step at a time. That's useful.

So if I've written a verse that I like, and I want to create a chorus to follow it, one pleasing way to make this move is to specify the first chord of the chorus to be 1 CW jump on the circle (a fifth) from the last chord in the verse. This is cool. Then to musically get back to the verse from the chorus could do the same between the last chord of the chorus and the first chord of the verse?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.