Around 2014-15 when there were likely 1200-1600 less styles and a thousand less RealTracks, this was a common complaint on the forum. Back then, as it is still today, the forum blamed the StylePicker and the generic and bland RealTracks. Late one Sunday night the discussion turned to BIAB's StylePicker couldn't even produce a particular classic rock guitar song. Dr. Gannon was monitoring the forum that night and joined the conversation and quickly located a style, a guitar soloist RealTrack and completed a chord sheet that rendered a song he posted for the forum discussion. No cutting/pasting. Just a straight forward, stock RealStyle with a Solo guitar...

As I recall, at that time, no forum member had been able to successfully find a style that fit this particular song. Sound familiar?

RayC: "... the audition have little to nothing to do with "my" perception of the style. ... There are styles galore & for many of my preferred things but the actual tracks within them, and sounds from them, really don't bear even a passing resemblance."

JohnJohnJohn: "Every time I try it I typically get a huge list of styles that sound nothing like the song/band in question."

Lee N: "Not once has it ever found a style that is even close to being remotely similar."

AudioTrack: "Finding a style from inputting a song title rarely gets me in the ballpark."

Furry: "totally agree with this post. I wasted hundreds of hours over the years and seldom got rewarded. "

MarioD: "Same here!"

Shlind: "And here! I have wasted so much time over this."

This isn't about anyone's opinion. My point is today, as opposed to back then, there's thousands more Styles and RealTracks. The StylePicker has been given a major overhaul and upgrade. Therefore, why can't the StylePicker and RealTracks find a stock Style that is remotely similar, in the ballpark song without wasting hundreds of hours?

My take away from Dr. Gannon's post long ago was because one can't do something, doesn't mean it can't be done. Meaning forum users weren't accessing and using all of the tools, features and processes BIAB provided to get the results they were seeking. Dr. Gannon posted an example he presented as an acceptable resemblance to the style and song in question.

I happened to save Dr. Gannon's audio file from that discussion. Dr. Gannon produced his example in minutes using a stock style with a Soloist RealTrack and using the StylePicker filters and the 'Play over current chord chart' feature.

He didn't use the ACW, MIDI, an Artist Performance Track or a User Track. He didn't edit tracks.

How do you folks think Dr. Gannon's example song compares to sounding similar to the song in question?
Is it in the ballpark?

If you achieved his same result from a StylePicker search today, would it be a waste of time?

Song Test File

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/31/22 03:32 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.