Originally Posted By: edshaw
The circle and the chart are helpful. Another important concept is what's called "the scale pattern," or, the "intervals" of the scale.
Major, minor, pentatonic -- each octave has a specific pattern of intervals.

A full step interval is two semitones. For example, C to D in the C Maj scale is a full step. A half-step interval is one semi-tone, e.g. E to F or B to C. There are no E# nor is there a B# in the C Major scale. -------------

Full step: C (the one) - C# (the two) - (the three) D.

C (root) - D (full step up) - E (full step from D) - F (half step) --
G (full step) -- A (full step) -- B (full step) - C (half step) --

Apply the same principles to all 12 keys of the major scale.

Thanks Ed, I think I understand full-step/half step and that from C to D we have full(2 frets) and from E to F we have half (1 fret).

Gracie Terzian seems to use "scale" and "key" interchangably. Are they the same? If we look at the table I posted on 7/29 (I'm assuming you didn't detect any errors in it) and look at the scale/key of E Major, we see the following notes.

E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D# we see it's root is located at clock position 4 on the circle and we have 4 sharps. (I'm thinking these 4's are unrelated since at clock position 11, F we, certainly can't have 11 sharps or 11 flats). If I play these notes on my keyboard and end with the higher octave E , I hear the familiar Do-Re-Mi musical sequence.

I also notice in this table that for all keys/scales the 1,4 and 5 scale numbers correspond to "major chords". Do you know what that is telling me or what the significance of that is?

Also, this table is restricted to major keys. Is there a separate table restricted to minor keys? If so, would the next inner circle dictate these keys/scales?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.