Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Generally, the books are good. Lot's of people say "I'm not a dummy, I won't buy it".
They're not for dummies. They're for people of all abilities.

My Music Theory for [Non] Dummies, 4th edition by Michael Pilhofer, MM?, and Holly Day arrived from Amazon, US$16.89

The first thing I did was grab my roll of masking tape and Sharpie marker and replaced "Dummies" with "Newbies". [Sometimes in life one must control the narrative] smile

The 2nd thing I did was my usual new book aroma test. Nothing like the smell of a brand new book; it passed.

The 3rd thing was to check the Table of Contents
Introduction
Part 1: Getting Started with Music Theory
Part 2: Putting Notes Together
Part 3: Musical Expressions through tempo and Dynamics
Part 4: Musical Expression Through Form
Part 5: The Part of Tens
Part 6: Appendicies

The 4th thing I did was read the Introduction. Some notable info:
1. Even the most basic music theory training gives you the information you need to expand your range and abilities as a musician.
2. This book is written for the following types of musicians (which, frankly, cover the gamut)
>> The absoulte beginner
>> The music student who drifted away
>> The experienced performer

The 5th thing I did was to check if it has an index, yep it does. And several pages show up under "Circle of Fifths" in the index.

There is also a link to online material containing chord progressions and other stuff.

So far I like it . . .

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.