Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Good tip on using 2-beat chords for the ritardando, Herb. Currently, BiaB slows down on a bar-by-bar level which tends to not provide a smooth transition.

By doubling the measures and changing them to 2 beats, and rearranging the chords to match the music you want, you avoid that "step-down" that is obvious in a 4 beat bar. The steps are smaller.... only 2 beats, and they are spread out over twice the measures, so you effectively have a higher resolution and the step down is not noticeable. You have.... in the ears of the listener, a smooth tempo decrease to the final hold.

Here is one example of this method used in a song. Listen to the entire song or jump to the end to hear the technique and see what you think about how effective it is.

Dust on The Floor

I think there's actually 3 different and each subsequently slower tempos used in this ending. You will need to experiment to see what kind of increment of reduction you need to make it sound good. I generally start with about 8 to 10 beats under the song tempo, and an equal or slightly less reduction on each of the remaining bars.

Example: SONG at 4/4 115bpm.... 1 bar/2 beats @ 105, 1 bar/2 beats @ 95, 1 bar/2 beats at 85, and a hold on the next bar. Adjust as needed to give the speed of RIT you want.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/13/22 05:32 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.