Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Jazz, unless it’s the anarchy kind of free jazz (which I have no use for), works because all the players do know the rules. They may knowingly choose to break some of them for uniqueness, but the underlying song structures are followed by all. This is how I can perform in concert with someone I’ve just met, with no rehearsal. It’s a common and unspoken language we all share.

+1
Anarchy Jazz. Never heard that description before (it fits), and I too have no use for it. I simply don't understand the dielect, if in fact, it is a dialect.

An observation: Since frequenting this forum, and without exception, every song posted in my opinion has followed rules. Be it rock, jazz, country, blues or other genre. Even lyrically there are rules involving cadence and rhyme. Lyricists, here and elsewhere know this well when they practice their tradecraft.

Indeed, I'd say that in order for a song to be a member of a genre that it has to (at least primarily) follow the rules of that genre, because all languages are rules-based. Blues in particular has a heavy rules-based song structure. I don't have the knowledge to put it into words, but if you violate that rule, you've destroyed the song. Eric Clapton, Joe Bonamassa, BB King, etc, all know this rule and (innately) so do their audiences. . . which I think is cool.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.