At the moment I can’t get the DAW Plugin to run without crashing in Windows/Cubase. I should be able to figure out how to fix it, but looking at what the DAW Plugin does, I wonder if it is any better (or maybe worse) than the way I already work (using Drag & Drop and keeping open Cubase and multiple instances of BIAB.) This is what I am thinking:

1) The plugin needs to generate and then render and print track(s) inside the DAW, but this is slower than just generating it in BIAB standalone and dragging whatever tracks you want from the BIAB mixer to a track in the DAW, and I have the added flexibility to place a track at whatever bar I want.

2) If I want to vary the styles in a single song (quite often) I can have different parts of the song open in multiple instances of BIAB (enabled in preferences) – so the verse can be in one style and the bridge or chorus or intro in another. Of course, I can change styles within a single BIAB arrangement, but it is easier and more flexible to have different BIAB “songs” for each section of the whole song and assemble them by drag and drop into the right places in the DAW.

3) BIAB standalone has two ways to enter chords (type the chord name or play on a midi keyboard) but the plugin only has one way (type the name). While typing the name is perfect for transcribing an existing song from a chord sheet, midi-input is superior when composing for keyboard players who can play, say, F#m7b9 with one hand and Ctrl-Ent with the other, but typing takes 6 keystrokes + enter. Even better, you discover more interesting and creative chord changes when you can hear them on the midi keyboard before committing them to the chart, so you don’t have to imagine whether and Eb7+9 will better than, say, F#dim7, because you can play as many different changes as you like until one sounds good, and only hit Ctrl-Ent to add the chord when you like something. If typing the chord names, you would have to type the chord, then generate, then listen, then type another and regenerate and listen again and remember which you like, and if you want the first chord, type and generate again. With midi-input you can compare them instantly, even playing the previous chord to hear the transition until you like what you hear and hit Ctrl-Ent. For composer-keyboard players, the lack of this feature in the DAW Plugin is a deal breaker (at least for me.)

4) If I have the DAW and multiple instances of BIAB open, I can switch between them with more flexibility in size and location. They can all be open and sized to see in various locations, or if I want to work intensively on one or the other, I can maximize one for a time. The DAW plugin only has a few sizes it can handle, and always overlaps in the DAW.

5) Of course, the advantages of a DAW to tweak and improve BIAB tracks is discussed elsewhere, and if you like this advantage that’s really important (eg, cutting and pasting, altering notes of soloists with Melodyne or other plugins, adding other VST instruments to the BIAB tracks, more flexibility in adding recorded vocals and live instruments, etc.) These advantages are available using either the DAW plugin or the method I use (of Drag & Drop) but I still think it might be faster without the Plugin.

If you have experience with the DAW Plugin and have found things different to what I am thinking here, please let me know.