I'm new to this forum, and only a few months into BiaB, but this seems like a mostly friendly group, so I'll throw this out. I am benefiting immensely from BiaB's ability to comp my practices and to add color to songs where I can't do it myself. The internal algorithms are advanced and creative, and the program's engine is to be commended. HOWEVER.....BiaB appears to be Ford Focus frame on a Ferrari engine. (Sorry for being blunt, but that's exactly the metaphor that comes to mind when I load the program. I'm not trying to offend.)

Leaving aside the time warp to the early 90s that the UX offers, there are just too many usability quirks and inconsistencies with mainstream user interface standards. Example: everytime I want to save a file, I have to scan the (24!) options under the File menu to find Save. (Comes after Karaoke options - really?) Cutting and pasting usually leads to unanticipated results. The list could go on and on. And yes, I know there are shortcuts and key equivalents for all of these to be learned, but as a 21st century software user, I have an expectation that the program should be 85% usable out of the box w/o instructions. BiaB gets about a 40% score based on my exerience.

While I'm satisfied with what the program accomplishes, I'm dissastified with the amount of work I have to do. I can't in all good conscience recccomend BiaB to a prospective buyer either. It's simply too hard to use. Frankly, I use the program b/c it's effective, but I heave a sigh of resignation when I click the icon (and hold my breath that it doesn't crash while generating Realtracks.)

At some point, PG will have to bite the bullet and do a complete remake of the look and feel, and I vote sooner rather than later. Otherwise, fans will leave and new customers will be hard to acquire. Believe me, I know how hard this is - I've been in the technology industry for some time. Long-term loyal users will rightly howl that they need to change habits, customer support costs will skyrocket for a while, developers will be diverted from new features to usabilty designing, etc. Been there. But I also know it has to be done.

FWIW, here at a minimum is what I would change, and I invite others to chime in:

-Contextual icons: over 1/3 of my screen space is occupied by buttons, most of which I rarely use. I just counted 76 button icons, not including the instrument and playback options. BiaB should know what I'm doing and present me with only options that are relevant to the task at hand. (Yes, the icons can be hidden, but that's not the point; it's about enhancing workflow at each step of the process). One possibility is the use of tabs - this has become common in many programs, and almost all browsers, so there will be a less steep learning curve.

-The instrument selection radio icons continue to baffle: I can click Strings and yet add a MIDI generated percussion instrument, or a Banjo realtrack, and the option still says "Strings." This is an area where a more traditional DAW approach may be in order, with tracks lanes, and more easily customizable track names.

-Use wizards instead of menu dialogs. The buttons on most dialog boxes are dense, and often lack logical flow. Example, the notation dialog box. Formatting options are presented alongside transposing options, sandwiched in between guitar chord options. Takes a lot of reorienting myself with every dialog box that is open. This is one area where consitency is paramount. Give me tabs with my options, and let me find only what I need, and make the tabs the same across every dialog box.

-There must be a reason why BiaB doesn't write to the Windows registry, but I don't know what it is. This makes BiaB not play well with my system and I suspect is the reason for a lot of instability and frequent crashes. I'd suggest reevaluting this policy.

-General lack of graphic enhancement. In this era, people expect the graphics to be engaging, intuitive, exciting and useful. I can't say this about BiaB's UX presentation layer.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the program and would like to see it stay around. However, I fear that over time it will fade into the night along with its loyal long term users. A newer generation of users will be put off by an archaic interface, and find something else. I think that would be a shame. That is the intent of this posting and I hope it is taken in that light.