Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
frankly i was totally wrong bout mini pc's.
i'm gobsmacked by the mini.
thought they were only good for surfing/messageing etc etc…lol.
no matter what i throw at this pc , i cant hear any fan noise and its not taxed.

A huge amount of the progress is related to keeping the waste energy low. Whilst raw CPU performance increases have slowed a bit, wasted energy is a 'hidden' part that's actually a big change.

i dont know how you fared in 'tech' ..frankly i wouldnt do it again as a career mate.
what i found was either the employers didnt wanna pay, or if they did, one had no personal life cos they wanted us to work 24/7, or end users often were cheesed off cos us techs made more. so i dont feel sorry for companies that bleat they cant get techs.

Aye. I thoroughly enjoyed my job and I made huge contributions to the companies for which I worked, humanity, life saving, research and more. In the past I would commend engineering for that, but not now. No, it never paid anything like it should. Worse than that, my last company turned me over big time. I was driven out of a spin-off company I helped found and which almost certainly would have failed without me. The founding CEO "thought" I'd been employed within the parent company to take his job away and the sales guy we recruited turned out to be an extreme narcissist.

instead of getting highly educated at uni in uk etc ..bottom line i prolly would have done better leaving school at 16 and trying to buy a pub lol.

Hmm, well, actually I did leave school (actually at 15, but "officially" 16), but I was fortunate to get an excellent technician apprenticeship that set me up very well technically. I think we covered more than the typical degree, minus a thesis, but plus real work in a tech environment. By the time I was in my late twenties, I was mentoring people with doctorates. Strange but true.

I ran a club bar in my early/mid twenties as a not-the-day-job. I can tell you that it's hard work. With the day job as well I was working 90 hours most weeks and drinking far too much.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.