I just bought Synthesizer V artificial intelligence voices Solaria (female) and Kevin (male). Amazingly, they can "sing' a midi file if you just type in the words. I am thinking of using it for quick songwriting with BIAB.

Below is a link to my first three attempts to use it with BIAB over the past two days. The first two were disappointing in many ways, but on my third attempt I was able to get something I think is promising.

What's wrong with the first two?
I downloaded two BIAB .mgu files from the internet (All the Things You Are and All of Me) and left the chords the way they were, and ran the the melody track through Synthesizer V and bulk copied all the lyrics from the internet. A few places had to be tweaked, but I pretty much let it do it's own thing regarding phrasing and pronunciation. The whole process from start to finish took about 15 to 20 minutes per song.

Although the voices were clear and quite realistic, they just sounded wrong to me (what do you think?) because the timing of the melody was exactly quantized, and no singer would sing that precise on every beat. Also the expression and vibrato was too uniform, and needed some variation.

What's great about the third attempt?
So I tried a third song (Crazy) and this time I didn't use the melody midi track, but re-played it on my keyboard without any quantization, trying to be freely expressive. I then added the lyrics and spent more time changing the expression, slides and vibrato in various places. This took me about 2 hours (but I was learning the program, so it can be done faster with experience.) This one sounded a lot more human to me.

All three attempts can be heard here in sequence (just keep listening to hear all the tracks)

https://iradeo.com/station/169450

I wonder if anyone else has had success with using these kind of programs with BIAB, and any tips for making them realistic.

What do you think about using them for demos? Especially the method of the third track (which takes a lot more time, but worth it in my opinion.)

Last edited by ThomasS; 12/27/22 05:53 PM.