Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I don’t work with vocals but if I had to, this would be very helpful to me as a composer. I could work with Kevin. Do they have other choices of female vocalist?

EDIT: yes, Eleanor Forte, good only for Anime sounds

As of this writing, Dreamtonics says the following "native" English female vocalists exist:

• ANRI
  • Eleanor Forte
  • Natalie
  • SOLARIA
  • Tsurumaki Maki English (giant caveat here)
  • Weina (caveat here)

However, their definition of "native" is that the program was trained with the singers singing in English, not that the singer is a native English speaker.

It also doesn't help when some of the English songs are put together by non-native English speakers.

IMNSHO, Tsurumaki Maki's English is unusable. She's not a fluent English speaker, and I think it's a mistake by Dreamtonics to list her as an "English" vocal.

In contrast, Weina is not a native English speaker and has a bit of an accent, but I find her voice quite usable... most of the time. Giant caveat: there are some times when she requires creative workarounds on some vowels.

Solaria is the gold standard of native English vocals. Clear, versatile and fun to work with. The personality (and skill) of the voice provider comes through.

Eleanor Forte was the first voice released, and that version over-articulated lyrics. A reworked AI version was released, and that voicebank is much better than the original. There's a "Lite" version of the voice as well, which is free and lower quality.

ANRI has a "young teenage girl" voice - good for that sort of pop sound, I guess. I'm not a fan of that vocal sound, but apparently a lot of people are. Her English is fine.

Natalie is a more recent voicebank, and has a darker, slightly husky voice. It's not as versatile as Solaria, but I like her voice a lot. She has a habit of dropping some consonants from the end of her words.

Depending on what you want, the female trans-lingual voices can be quite good. For example, Qing Su is a Chinese voice I did a song with, and forgot she wasn't a native English voice.

As always, these are just my own highly subjective opinions. Your own ears are the best judge as to whether the voice would work for you.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?