To use the line outs at the rear of the unit you'll need to configure the management software to allow this and to send the main stereo mix to it.
You'd need to suss out if you need to use 1/3 or or 1/2 etc. The software will let you know. You'll have to set the software to have two lines running to your monitor amp and two to the headphone amp.

On the headphone amp you insert a standard mono jack for each of your stereo channels. Those can run directly from the back of the Focusrite or you could use a Y cable and run from one of the headphone sockets at the from of the FR. There are two so it's not really going to be a problem. The 8i6 is a bit of a con, (I had an older version & love it BUT...), as the non digital inputs on the back will, in many instances, need an external preamp. Two front combo inputs with preamps on the front, stereo SPDF = 2 digital inputs at the back and the additional analogue inputs at the back, (needing pres)= 8. I found that out the hard way and bought two stereo/2 channel preamps to allow me to record a drum kit.

When I'm recording a couple of people I use a Behringer MINIAMP AMP800 Headphone Amplifier that's straight out of the headphone socket of my SSL2. Everyone gets the same mix but that's generally OK.Though it has multiple inputs so that an interface can, if needed & set up for it, send multiple mixes to the h/amp and they be heard by the appropriate people at different levels etc. by selecting the input front the front panel.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in the "monitor/through" arrangement...that's sending the signal to your monitors along an uncertain path in terms of signal impact etc.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
frs8i6.JPG (27.1 KB, 137 downloads)
fr2.JPG (38.42 KB, 137 downloads)
pres.JPG (39.78 KB, 137 downloads)
preview_1.jpg (94.41 KB, 134 downloads)
Last edited by rayc; 01/06/23 09:04 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe