Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
Just wondering how some using midi drums and BIAB do it.

In my mind (tiny,fragile,eggshell) I imagine a simplistic workflow:
1. Export a midi drum track to your daw along with your BIAB tracks.
Currently I use 100% real tracks & real drums so I would start with real drums that offer the midi file option. Seems like there are plenty of them.

2. Select a drum library from your DAW (or add ons)for the midi file (s).

3. Fiddle with the piano roll where appropriate.

Can it be that simple? at least to get started

YES!

Some questions

Can I easily export each drum track (kick,toms,ride,snare) to separate tracks?
If not, is there a workaround
I'm thinking this would be useful for volume adjustment and/or automation in the mixer.

It depends on what DAW you are using. I am using Studio One Pro 6 and it has an option to extract notes to tracks. I use it all of the time. Each individual note goes to a different track; that is the kick drums go to one track, the open hi-hats to another, etc.

If I remember correctly I believe Sonar had the same options.

If your DAW doesn't have that option the work around is to copy the drum track as many times as there are drums playing and delete all but the drum you want to keep on each copied track.

Are you happy with the results?

I am extremely happy with the results. Not only can you change each individual drum (if each drum is on a separate track) but you can create your own drum parts, ;like adding fills were you want them. Drums is one instrument that MIDI emulates very well.

Does the midi file mirror the realDrum performance one might save it from?

Yes and no. I have had some mirror RDs while others did not. Also note that there are some very good MIDI drum tracks on the MIDI side of BiaB. I use mostly the MIDI side. No shocker there!

[quote=mrgeezeIts a bit of a hill to climb to get started with midi but I'll give it a go if it the payback is there.

Appreciate any comments. [/quote]

MIDI, especially for drums, is not that hard. Drums is easy because there is very little if any use of the CCs (Continuous Controllers). That is no vibrato, pitch bend, etc, however if and when you dive into MIDI CCs you can use filters to change the drum sound, vibrato for drum effects, etc. If you have any questions or problems feel free to contact me.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware