Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Gordon…you use a scarlett interface right ? i KNOW this is a good interface.

Hmm, well, it depends on the system on which I'm working.
This system has a Gen1 Scarlett 2i2.
My notepad has a Gen3 Scarlett 8i6.
The PC my wife uses has a Scarlett Solo (Gen1 IIRC),
My studio PC has a Saffire Pro 40 and a Ui24R.

Those are all good interfaces, chosen as much as anything else that I knew they would work with Linux, though the newer Saffire Pro 40 does not.

Personally I think there isn't so much to choose between any studio-quality kit sound modules, whether by Focusrite, Audient, Presonus, M-Audio, MOTU, UA or whomever. And I think that's especially true once the sounds have gone through the mixing mill and has had compression, reverb, chorus, EQ, Melodyne and what have you.

Transducers have a bigger effect on sound that most good I/O modules will and we struggle to identify a 1/2dB change in volume, but can be swayed by it. Moving a microphone a few inches will do that and will also effect the spectrum of the signal.

For my money, if one is happy with one's choices, that's pretty much an end of it.

Years ago I used to be asked for advice about what Hi-Fi to buy. My answer tended to be "if you're happy spending an absolute fortune chasing that little iota of improvement, then go for it. For most of us, set yourself a budget, pick the best, matching, kit you can within that budget, try it, buy it and stick with it."

I know people who've spent many thousands chasing things like "directional cables". That way lies madness, IMHO. There are things that matter and things that are evil spirits. Be pragmatic. IMHO, YMMV laugh

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/22/23 07:11 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.