Any critique of any art form must be, by its very nature, pretty subjective. Obviously, specific parameters in music can be determined to be related to some standard. Did the vocalist sing on pitch? Did the drummer keep consistent timing? Then again, did the singer sing off-pitch because that's what they wanted to hear?

I disagree that only humans should be allowed to examine a musical composition critically.

Superficial praise is sometimes used to motivate artists, but it usually would not be there in a proper critique.

AIs may not currently be very useful in musical critiques, but that does not mean they are useless. Is it improper to use a microscope because I can not see something with my eyes?

At least currently, AIs are machines that serve our needs based on how we program them.

Why could I not ask the AI to analyze my timing on a song? Would I get unhappy because Melodyne reported my timing to be inconsistent?

We may not have AIs capable of doing all those things at the moment, but it could be done.

I don't think it is meaningful to say a song is "good or bad." For me, I like it, or I don't.

Especially in today's world, songs exist in such widely different forms that it is difficult to critique many of them. In many cases, an Ai would have an advantage over me simply due to the fact the AI can understand one hundred different languages.

AIs may not have to ability to experience emotions, but they certainly are capable of understanding the concept. Here is the response: "do you understand why people get angry"?

ChatGPT answer
Yes, I understand that people can get angry due to a variety of reasons such as feeling hurt, frustrated, or powerless. Additionally, people may become angry as a result of a perceived threat, injustice or when their expectations or desires are not met.

AIs are machines; they are and can be both very useful and potentially dangerous.

Like it or not, they are here to stay and, in fact, may critique one of your songs...lol

ChatGPt obviously does not have a complete understanding of English grammar. Take a critical look at the ChatGPT answer I just posted. Many improvements are needed. Everything has limits. An optical microscope can only "see" something down to the wavelength of light, for example.

Fascinating subject, this AI business!

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo