I don't do TV, or streaming, or most anything that requires a monthly subscription. Why? Self-employed musician, there are times of feast and times of famine. I was out of work 2 years thanks to COVID, and never had to hit my savings to pay the bills.

So I went to my public library, and checked out the 3 disc DVD set of the Beatles' documentary, “Get Back”.

For me and Mrs. Notes, the first two disks were a waste. They guys are in the movie studio with no sense of direction. Not rehearsing, not even practicing, and when they are playing, sounding quite lame.

I hit >> and >>| controls quite a bit. I'm sure I missed some gems of information, but the boredom was not worth it.

I did notice a few things.

* Ringo was the pro, always showed up on time, when the other musicians were working out chords or whatever, Ringo sat patiently at the drum set, waiting. Many drummers I know start tuning heads, practicing licks or fidgeting on the drums in other ways when the rest of the band works on notes. I have a newfound respect for Ringo.

* I noticed Paul gets around on the piano pretty well, and has some very good musical ideas.

* Billy Preston is a gem, but then I've always like his piano playing.

* Children, wives, and significant others should not have been allowed in.

* Somebody needed to take leadership and focus the group, as they were unable to focus on the task, and neither John nor Paul wanted to let the other one lead.

* They expressed nervousness about playing in front of an audience. They could have fallen flat on their faces and the fans would have swooned.

We watched the last disc in its entirety, and this is what hit me the most.

When they were on the rooftop, playing live, they were not only a band again, but you could see the joy you can only get from live performance on their faces, especially Paul's. They were in their bliss.

I know that much of what they recorded from Strawberry Fields on could not be reproduced live, but I think they should have continued to play live to keep the band spirit alive.

That's my take, anyway.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks