Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Bob, some fun facts you may have missed:

Throughout Disc 1 & 2 Paul did try to take control ... many times. In fact Paul's attempts became so grating George took a hike.

It was VERY obvious John or Paul thought little of George's or Ringo's songwriting.

John and Paul interacted with each other most of the time but neither hung out very much with George or Ringo.

Paul is a pretty good drummer too.

The eight track recorder was George's personal recorder from home.

Thanks. I knew about the 8 track and guessed about the power struggle.

I still have a DVD player, so I called the public library. It was a little wait, but when they got it in, Mrs. Notes drove down and checked it out, while I was working on the backing track. It was for Rhiannon, a song a regular audience member just asked for. The track turned out well. I bought the sheet music, and that makes the job go quicker. Transcribing by ear takes a lot of time. Sorry to drive off on the tangent. wink

I like George's songs, not all of them, but the gems are very good. I suppose that may have been part of the power struggle too.

The reason I got bored with it is I've been in bickering bands where there is a clash of ideas, and nobody wants to give in to the other's.

Ringo's songwriting? I don't particularly love or hate it. They are to me mediocre songs that George Martin saved.

I've followed the Beatles from the start, since I was in cover bands that had to play their songs (and loved to as well).

The Abbey Road Medley is to me their best. The arrangement is superb, the performances good, and Paul's bass playing at times borders on genius. For some time I thought it was a studio bass player. It seemed too quick of a progression from the country bass of the early songs to the Jameson influenced bass later and on to this level of playing. He had more talent than I gave him credit for (my apologies, Paul). laugh

The Let It Be album, showed me just how important George Martin was, and how he was indeed the 5th Beatle (6th if you insist that Billy Preston was 5th). It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not stellar like Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Pepper, or Magical Mystery. Half the white album is good, and half boring. If they edited out half the cuts, it would have made a good single disk album.

Of course, that's my opinion, and if anyone disagrees, their view is as valid as mine.

But when I saw them performing in the Rooftop concert, I saw the spark in them that most good bands have when playing live to an audience and that was worth the price (although from the library it was free).

I haven't watched TV since the 1990s. I have no streaming services, but I do have a one-disc-at-a-time that comes in the mailbox from Netflix. They wanted to ship one disc at a time, to it would have taken almost a month to see that, thus the library.

When a movie goes in the player, it's the absolute only time the TV gets turned on. OK, I'm weird, but I'm OK with that.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks