It's a good topic to delve into.
I can't sing so use ReaTune and, sometimes, Melodyne.
Despite the above emphatic vote for Mel. it can be JUST as bad as any other pitch correction software: it's complex and subtilty is easy lost.
Many major studios outsource the "tuning" to pros who do it full time becasue it's easy to lose focus and awareness when in amongst it
It's very easy to produce well recorded and performed tracks in this highly competitive world if you have a singer who is a) good & b) prepared to learn the material properly.
For my part I'd much rather use a singer in collaborative way. I've often done so BUT I know that my songs aren't necessarily attractive to other performers so I, oft times, have to "do it" myself.
I record a scratch "vocal with the phrasing and basic melodic idea as best I can. I then tune it, often aggressively, with ReaTune as well as tweaking the melody and then try to learn the corrected version.
Frequently I get close but not close enough so I tune gently, render the vocal, then tune gently again to try to avoid too may obvious artefacts in the final result.
Tweaking gently in Reatune then copying/pasting that VST in a stack of two or three will also, slightly faster, achieve a gently successful result. Nevertheless. I always hope that some one will hear my final result and offer to sing it for me.
ReaTune is CPU hungry, Melodyne even more so. Also Melodyne is unhappy when in the same project with the likes of PSP Vintage Warmer 2, (another hungry one when set to fat), and can cause crashes.
If one can't really sing & has no access to singer for social or financial reasons I can't see a problem with a tuning prog used well.

Last edited by rayc; 03/07/23 07:26 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe