I would go with something synthesizer based because with a Rhodes or a Wurly you only have that one sound available. The EP 30, as it has aged and started to vanish from the landscape (They ARE from 1974, after all!) is likely to be overpriced because they are called "legacy" (I hate that word. They are OLD, not legacy.) Newer Roland pianos will treat you better as sound reproduction technology has improved so much in the 50 years since the RD 30 came out. And you won't have to pay "legacy" prices.

A lot depends on your application. Do you want a "piano" piano as if you had an upright in your living room or do you want the bells and whistles of a workstation, hundreds of sounds that come in a synth that also does piano well, etc... I have an old Kurzweil KP2500x (that weighs 72 pounds and is too big and heavy for anything but a platform stand) that sounds great, yet I also have a Nord Electro4 that not only has solid pianos but the best Hammond sounds short of lugging a 600 pound Hammond around. And the Roland FA-06 I just bought used for $800 at the Sweetwater campus in Fort Wayne is also great. The Roland though is a workstation with a lot of sequencer power, an assignable 16 button pad where you can create a "song set" of any 16 sounds of the hundreds of them and call them up on the fly from the keypad (I use that a lot), an SD card slot that you can bring songs into the board, load them into RAM and play them while you play along live...

Application should really be your first consideration. If you want that classic unique Rhodes sound, buy the Rhodes. The same for the unique Wurly sound. Workstation vs just a sound source. Remember that with a complex keyboard will come a large learning curve. If you just want to play piano with piano feel, Roland's velocity sensitivity is very lifelike. As I like to say, horses for courses.

Just remember that old doesn't mean good OR bad. I still have 2 Ensoniq keyboards (EQS-1 and EPS 16+ sampler) from the 80s that are great and I will likely keep them until I die. I don't even really play anymore. Yet I have 8 keyboards and 6 modular synths. I really kind of just buy them because I can. LOL!

Last edited by eddie1261; 03/28/23 04:14 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.