So... what we have here is an experiment. This is a deep dive into the world of AI. Artificial Intelligence, to see what possibilities exist, musically, in the digital world.

So here's what we got.

The AI we're all familiar with in the form of Band in a Box, combined with the AI lyric writing app Joanne is developing, and the AI from a small Japanese company developing the Synth V and the voices database.

BB was the easy part and the part I was most familiar with so there's not much new there.

Second part was actually how this whole thing started. The Lyric app. I was playing around with the app a few weeks ago. I gave it an idea to see what it could do. I instructed it to write the lyrics to a song about believing in someone and to make it encouraging and uplifting. It sent back words in about 10 seconds that were halfway workable. I did however, take much longer than those 10 seconds to edit mostly the second half of the lines in the the verses and chorus.

Then the third part....I wanted a female vocal but since I don't know any ladies who are available to sing..... Why not try a synth female vocalist. I had recently found out about the vocalists in Synth V which sounded pretty good. Certainly a huge improvement over the vocaloids of the last few years. I downloaded the basic SV and one of the demo databases and set to work learning something new. Word by word, edit, drag, play, ooops, stop, undo, retry... and so on. After I got it halfway together over several days of frustration and grief, I sent it across the internet to another, more experienced person, who kindly took my meager efforts and added the full database voice with AI and sent it back as a finished MP3 track.

My observations on the synth V vox....not bad, it is a major step up from the vocaloids I have heard in the past. It still has a ways to go IMHO before it captures the emotion a human can provide in the vocal. However, I did not really delve into all of the controls, sliders, and options that were in the side panels in the synth so it is possible that I don't know how to get that aspect into the vocal track. It was a major task for me just to get to this point on my first deep dive into the world of vocal synths. The track was not as clean as I would have liked but again, I don't know what I don't know yet. THat could have been MP3 compression or something else that was beyond my control on this. All in all, for a first try, I am pleasantly surprised with the fine result.

Note: I used the main vox track to create 2 harmony tracks in BB using the auto-harmony feature. It's the first time I have ever used that. The harmonies are extremely homogenized as a result. I keep them low in the mix.

Another note.... this is the 3rd rendering. The first was a hip hop style that I could never get under control to my satisfaction. It kinda sounded ok but then again it kinda didn't. The second render was a simple piano/vocal mix. But the piano on that was rather busy and distracting so it resides in a folder that won't likely see the light of day in it's current condition. The 3rd rendering is what is here. Again... there's a bit to be desired by me.... but it has to be called "almost done" at some point. So.....

The details:

Style: Puplift kind of pop with distorted guitars

Bass 1268
synth pad 1278
Drums Real drums praise and worship
Guitar 1272
Guitar 1853
Guitar 4056
Vocalist Eleanor Forte AI on Synth V

Have a listen and let me know your thoughts.

I Believe in You

LYRICS:

I believe in you

When the world is spinning fast and you don't know what or who to ask
I'll be there to remind you, I'll be there to help you through

I Believe in You
Everything you do everything you say no matter what comes your way
Just take it day by day only you can make your dreams come true
I believe in you

When the path ahead is unclear and you don't know who to trust or fear
I'll be there to help you find your courage and your peace of mind

I Believe in You
I believe in you

And when the night is long and you feel like you can't go on
Just close your eyes and you will find the strength to carry on

I Believe in You
I believe in you (3x)

copyright 2023 Herb Hartley

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.