Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
Forget that Peter McIan book. It's garbage. Besides being filled with cookie cutter recipes that may or may not work for your project, is full of all kinds of bad advice. For example, his go-to for every instrument is to boost 100 Hz. If you do that, your mix is going to end up being a muddy mess. I guarantee that's not what was done on the Men at Work album that he produced.

I burned my copy of it.

This is the book you want:

https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Engineers-Handbook-5th/dp/1946837121

Or this one, if not the whole series:

https://www.halleonard.com/product/333254/hal-leonard-recording-method-book-6-mixing-mastering-2nd-edition

Ok, I was confused a little at first but now I understand given a bit more context. confused grin Thanks for the resources!

Quote:
As far as "I can't sing:"

Ah yes, Kenny T. I've actually watched a good number of his videos. Dude can sing for sure. The only things for me that were negatives were, he seems to have 1 volume, and his tongue looks very strained fairly often. I know he has explained this as being some advanced technique, but I have never seen another singer do that. Even the people he's emulating. He certainly does a damn good Lou Gram though. NOT easy to do by any means.

On a side note, did you know he's Sammy Hagar's cousin? I know he mentions it every so often. Apparently they had a falling out at some point and Sammy has distanced himself from Ken. They genes are there though! lol

Quote:
A final piece of advice if you want to get good at anything, you need to give yourself permission to suck. No one starts out great at anything.

I so agree to this philosophy. I've heard it said the fastest way to improve is fail more and faster. I'm not a perfectionist by any means. I do like to progress and do find frustration in not knowing what to do, trying something, getting a poor result, and not knowing what to change. It's like asking someone for directions to get to Disney and they ask "ok, where are you now?" And you don't know that either! eek This will be an adventure I and very much appreciate the advice and encouragement! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 05/22/23 05:08 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.