The problem with MagicJack, of course, is that you have to plug it into a USB port on your computer. Were you planning on leaving your computer running 24/7?

Skype is nice, but again, falls into the category of 'if you're computer isn't on, you don't get Skype calls.' Now, that's not exactly true, as there are Skype devices that attach directly to your network, but they tend to be a couple of hundred dollars.

Vonage will plug directly into your network, allowing you freedom from the computer. Depending on what ISP you have, Comcast for instance, you can get a bundled package with VOIP. I have that, and my phone calls are indistinguishable from land lines.

Finally, you have to have a broadband connection. I don't know what the minimums are, but don't try downloading big files and talking on Magic Jack at the same time. Also, if you have a USB mouse, or other USB device on the computer, you may run into clicking or other audio artifacts (I'm not sure about that, I've never tried it, but have seen it in other audio applications).

My two cents.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!