UPDATE FOR LOW GAIN MIC PRE's IN INTERFACES.
(MARCH 2024)

i mentioned before how to solve the issue of some sound interfaces not having enough gain in their mic pre's for low output dynamic mics.
(i.e. use an in line booster product between the mic and the interface.)
but i notice now a trend to actually build the boosters into the dynamic mics themselves.
Here's some budget ones to consider.
(see you tube for reviews).

..sterling audio p30. about 80 bucks.
..se electronics dynacaster dcm 6. about 200 bucks ?
And I believe Logitech has one ?
and of course there is now a version for the sm7b.

I heard the p30 on a singer. sounded nice to me.
and the dynacaster sounded good too. but do your analysis. didnt have time to hear sm7b or logitech.
i heard one of the above either p30 or dcm (forgotten where on you tube) put up against a very expensive
mic costing over 3 g's . sounded good to me but do your evaluation.
if anyone knows more mics with built in boosters please post back.

another option for low output mics to interfaces is to firstly plug the mic into a mic pre.
so mic >> mic pre >> interface idea.
eg you could use a cheap art tube mp or another mic pre.
(NOTE. please dont yammy on me about the 50 buck art being only for bass players…lol.
ive used very high end pre's and compared vocals to the art...if you doubt me further just go on gearspace.com and look for a hilarious thread where an audio engineer posts blind tests audio examples of the art viz other mic pres...and then reveals later which examples were art. its an entertaining thread for one of those rainy days…many people got it wrong…lol.)

Now go make some great vocals.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/14/24 07:57 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)